Marathon Talk Archive
Take a browse through our archives.
- Episode 255 - Geoff Smith (Part One)
- Martin speaks to the 6th fastest British male marathoner ever and Tom speaks to Professor Andy Shennan about running in pregnancy. Yuki smashes yet another marathon record, Facebook inspires us and Twitter makes us laugh, Tony's here with his Trials and you Rate Your Run and climb aboard the Listener Podium
- Episode 254 - Bob Matthews
- Tom speaks to Paralympic legend Bob Matthews, the website is back, along with Rate Your Run, the Listener Podium and the Launch Pad. Boy on the Run is in the house, 400 runners run 70 minutes or faster at the Ageo Half Marathon and Martin's on a Jantastic mission.
- Episode 253 - Ian 'Fetch' Williams
- Martin's back in the house, Tom speaks to Fetch founder Ian Williams, Facebook Friday takes you back to your roots, Kimetto and Kipsang sign up to their first parkrun, Training Talk buffs you up and... our website is still down.
- Episode 252 - Julie Creffield
- We bring you all the news from New York, there's a high profile drugs bust in Kenya and we reminisce about the 80s. You introduce us to your inner chimp, Boy on the Run is back, Training Talk is all about fancy dress, Helen impersonates Martin and Tom speaks to Julie Creffield of the Fat Girl's Guide to Running.
- Episode 251 - Steve Peters
- Tony takes over from Martin, Julia Bleasdale chicks every male Greensand marathoner in history, Emma Stepto and Gemma Steel smash their PBs, Steve Peters talks to Tom's chimp and... there's no Podium, Rate Your Run or Launch Pad.
- Episode 250 - Chris Hulse (Race Director, Chester Marathon)
- Ron Hill is inducted into the England Athletics Hall of Fame, Oscar Pistorius is finally sentenced, we've got news from Toronto and Bangalore, Training Talk looks towards the winter, Tom's all over the place, Martin's been running the Steve way and Boy on the Run is back.
- Episode 249 - Rob Young (Marathon Man UK)
- Daz Reevell gets punched by a horse, Bekele misfires in Chicago, Eliud Kipchoge doesn't, Rob Young has run 197 marathons in 180 days (OMG), Steve Moneghetti runs 69 minutes in Melbourne, we've got two stacked Listener Podiums, you Rate Your Run and we bring you the latest tweets from our interviewees.
- Episode 248 - Mr Matthew Burton and Dave Webb
- It’s the week before the 2nd Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon and so we catch up with first time marathoner, TV teacher from ‘Educating Yorkshire’ Mr Matthew Burton and top British marathon hope Dave Webb. Martin and Tom were both at the Bournemouth Marathon Festival, it was also Chester Marathon this weekend. You rave about the return of a marathon, the podium is uber fast and Boy on the Run (Tony) is in town.
- Episode 247 - Steve Moneghetti (Part Two)
- Dennis Kimetto runs a 2:02 marathon, Steve Moneghetti is back for part two, there's an unusual take on racing the train, Training Talk thinks big, Boy on the Run is back, the Listener Podium is stacked and there's a new player in the free, weekly, timed run game!
- Episode 246 - Steve Moneghetti (Part One)
- On this week’s show we speak to a legend of Australian marathoning Steve Moneghetti. Paula Radcliffe makes a return. Deena Kastor becomes a world record holder. The BMW Berlin Marathon is this weekend and it could decide the World Marathon Majors. We chat fartlek. You have a rant and sit proudly on the podium and Boy on the Run is here.
- Episode 245 - Gavin Megaw & Josie Perry
- Running is no longer a punishment, boys are officially better than girls, there's a rather rude Friday Facebook, Gemma Steel goes all American, Tony's here with his Trials, Training Talk helps you pace your mates, there's a footballing Winner of the Week, plus the usual Rate Your Run and Listener Podium.
- Episode 244 - Richie Gardiner
- We look back at the racing from the Great North Run. Was Mo paced? Gemma Steel lays it down. An American 6 year old runs an amazing 5k PR. Boston Marathon registration opens and there’s a brand new half marathon in Sheffield for 2015. You rate your run and stand proud on the podium. Plus we interview Welshman runner turned triathlete Richie Gardiner!
- Episode 243 - Tom's Dad
- Yuki takes another course record, Haile hangs with Mr Bean, Steve Way is running in Bournemouth, Marc Lyne tells us all about the UTMB, Tony's here with his Trials and... Tom interviews his Dad!
- Episode 242 - Ben Fairburn
- Tom is away having babies but Martin is back from his hols and joined by Commonwealth Games 6th placer Susan Partridge. Mo’s been record setting. New York champions return in 2014. Could you imagine running a marathon every day for over a year? You rate your run, appear on the podium and make us laugh. Training Talk looks at session progression and we interview the amazing Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon first timer Ben Fairburn.
- Episode 241 - Jess Coulson
- Andi Jones joins Tom as guest presenter, Jess Coulson drops in for an interview, the European Championship marathons are done and dusted, Jo Pavey keeps on running, Mo moves back to the track and Bekele talks the talk. You guys Rate Your Run, hit the Podium, nominate a Winner of the Week and Tony brings us his Trials.
- Episode 240 - Jess Trengove
- The Magic Mile is done, team Kenya have an aeronautical nightmare and the European Athletics Championships get underway... sans British marathoners. Boy on the Run is back, you Rate Your Run and Commonwealth marathon medalist Jess Trengove checks in from a well deserved holiday.
- Episode 239 - James Dunne
- The Commonwealth Games was brilliant, Galen Rupp has twins, the Magic Mile continues, Gemma Steel storms to victory in the States, Training Talk helps you beat the clock, Martin speaks to rehab coach James Dunne plus there's the usual Podium, Launch Pad, Rate Your Run and Facebook fun.
- Episode 238 - Commonwealth Games Marathon
- The Commonwealth Games marathons. Mike Shelley takes home a surprise Aussie Gold, Steve Way runs a new British V40 record. Australian Jess Trengove snatches a bronze. We speak to the top Home Countries finishers and the man of the moment Steve Way. The Magic Mile is underway. You rate your run, stand on the listener podium and tell us where you’re racing next in the launchpad.
- Episode 237 - Marty Dent
- The Commonwealth Games is just days away, Australian marathoner Marty Dent speaks to Tom and Australian running-podcaster extraordinaire Dave Robbo drops in to the studio. We predict the results of Sunday's male and female marathons, Tony brings us his Trials, we have a septuagenarian Winner of the Week... and forgot to do Training Talk!
- Episode 236 - Susan Partridge Glasgow 2014
- Women slow down less that men, there’s mo doubt over Mo, we look at the Home Nations womens teams for the Commonwealth Games, the Scottish parade kit causes a stir, Killian Jornet breaks the Hardrock 100 record, Boy on the Run is back and Training Talk hits the track.
- Episode 235 - Ben Moreau
- Yuki Kawauchi doesn't break Deek's record, Paula Radcliffe does plan her comeback, Mo Farah isn't running, we review the home nations' male marathoners and Ben Moreau speaks to Martin about his Commonwealth Games plans. Training Talk is all about the Autumn, you Rate Your Run and there's a sheep-farming Winner of the Week.
- Episode 234 - James Tarran
- We’re feeling much perkier! Tom’s been celebrating his 40th birthday with a fancy 20 course dinner. There’s some news of where not to go on a running holiday, some uber long distance race results, could we see a new world marathon record in Berlin? Dennis Kimetto thinks so. Who would win over 400m - Weir or Farah? You rate your run, appear on the podium and have a rant.
- Episode 233 - Andrew Davies and Greg McMillan
- Wilson Kipsang gets taken down by his mate, Lee Merrien's out of the Commonwealth Games, Andrew Davies is in the Commonwealth Games and speaking to Martin, Tom speaks to Greg McMillan about altitude training, Tony's back with his Trials and we've got the parkrun ABC.
- Episode 232 - Liz Yelling and Jo Pavey
- On this week’s show Liz Yelling gossips about running with four-time Olympian Jo Pavey, Mo’s back on the track, Steve Way runs round and round and round and round a field, Jo Zakrzewski gets selected for the Commonwealth Games Marathon, Martin wishes he could run, Tom wishes he didn’t have the runs, Boy on the Run is back, plus there’s the Podium, Launch Pad, Facebook fun and you Rate Your Run.
- Episode 231 - Jacqueline Millett
- Jacquie Millet spoke to Martin about her recent V60 victory at Comrades, Josie Perry spoke to Tom about mental toughness and will Yuki Kawauchi score his fifth course record of the Year? Kenya name their Commonwealth Games marathoners, Tony's here with his Trials and we've got the usual Rate Your Run, Winner of the Week, Listener Launch Pad and Podium
- Episode 230 - Craig Smith
- Ellie Greenwood takes the biggest and best win of her career at Comrades. Galen Rupp sets a new American 10000m record. There’s a new marathon world age best for a 91 year old and a half marathon world age best for a 10 year old. Training Talk teaches you how to win Comrades. Boy on the Run is in the room and our interview is with finisher of all 6 marathon majors in sub 3hr30min Craig Smith
- Episode 229 - Ellie Greenwood
- It's Comrades this weekend and Ellie Greenwood is feeling fit, there were some super-speedy six-year-olds at the Bolder Boulder 10k, Facebook kept our mojo going and suggested some brilliant run sessions, both podiums were stacked and Tony brought us a marathon length Trials.
- Episode 228 - Dan Meineck
- Jo Pavey sets another record. Bekele is in fine finish form. Should Paula have one final crack? Have you suffered from premature celebration? We speak to comedian Rob Deering about his hopes for the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon and the 12-stone losing Dan Meineck about what it means to be a role model Dad. You Rate Your Run, sit on The Podium and tell us about your worst ever injuries and Boy on the Run is in the room.
- Episode 227 - Peter McHugh de Clare
- Tom hands over the bad back baton, we hear from the Night of the 10,000m PBs, Moses Mosop struggles in Prague and the wonderful Peter McHugh de Clare pops into Marathon Talk Towers. San Diego celebrate Meb, you Rate Your Run, stand on the Listener Podium and Boy on the Run is back.
- Episode 226 - Steve Way (Part Two)
- Yuki’s at it again. The sub 4 mile is 60 years old. There’s some great British performances on the track in Standford and a British record over 100k from the unstoppable Steve Way who’s also back with part two of his interview. Training Talk is all about summer speed. Tony’s here with his trials and there’s a tasty something of the week.
- Episode 225 - Steve Way (Part One)
- Haile's out of Hamburg, Shobukhova's out of running, Yuki's not out of anything. Steve Way speaks to Martin about his amazing breakthrough performance at the London Marathon, Tony's here with his Trials, you Rate Your Run and there's a stacked Listener Podium.
- Episode 224 - Boston Marathon & Chris Finill
- On this week’s show it’s all about Boston! The race saw the first American winner for 28 years! We look back at a courageous victory. A marathon first in North Korea, it’s VMLM ballot time, plus, what are your favourite running crisps? Boy on the run is back, we speak to Chris Finnill who went sub 3hrs for 33years at London - until this year. We look at how long you should you have off running after a marathon and it’s a Boston loaded podium.
- Episode 223 - The Virgin Money London Marathon
- Wilson Kipsang, Geoffrey Mutai, Amy Whitehead and Steve Way drop in to Marathon Talk Towers. We review the London and Rotterdam marathons and preview Boston. British Athletics announce their European Marathon Championships team... but where are the women? There's Rate Your Run, Tony's Trials, Winner of the Week and an amazingly fast podium.
- Episode 222 - Simon Webb and the Manchester Marathon
- Martin and Tom ran the Greater Manchester Marathon, Ethiopian track legend Kenenisa Bekele his marathon debut in Paris, there was new record in Brighton and it was third time lucky for Andi Jones in Manchester. We also review the Virgin Money London Marathon, can Mo do it? Tony sings about the things you hear the day before a marathon and there's a great interview with blind runner Simon Webb.
- Episode 221 - Barry Murray (Part Two)
- Jantastic is over... nearly. Adam Eason helps us with our pre-race nerves, Barry Murray continues his nutritional thoughts, we've got news from the World Half Marathon Championships, a catch-up with Alyson Dixon, we name the golden toad and bring you a buffed up Octogenarian.
- Episode 220 - Barry Murray (Part One)
- We speak to BBC sports reporter George Riley about his 100 mile racing challenge and we have the first of a fascinating two-part nutrition interview with Barry Murray. Jantastic is in the final week. Win a free ticket for Marathon Mania in Manchester, we talk about the rise of the Kenyans and the forthcoming world half marathon championships. Training talk is a few do’s and don’ts for race week, your rate your run and who is on the podium?
- Episode 219 - Chris Thompson
- Mo Zips up his man-suit, Thommo gets ready for London and there are Jantastic PBs left, right and centre. We've got two stacked Listener Podiums, Training Talk is all about the taper, you Rate Your Run and we have plenty of Facebook fun.
- Episode 218 - Anna Watkins
- We speak this week with Anna Watkins, she won the women’s double sculls with Kath Grainger at the London 2012 Olympic Games and is running this years Virgin Money London Marathon. Jantastic zooms past 300,000 runs. Training Talk looks at the 'to do’s' and 'takeaways' from a final long run. You rate your run, Tony brings us his trials and you rant.
- Episode 217 - Bill Adcocks (Part Two)
- Ryan Hall's running Boston and Chris Solinsky's running an Autumn marathon, Bill Adcocks is back for the second part of his interview. There's speedy half marathons in Reading, Bath and Silverstone, Tony's here with his Trials and Training Talk takes you to the max!
- Episode 216 - Bill Adocks (Part One)
- We speak to a legend of British marathon running Bill Adcocks (he ran 2:10 in 1968). Jantastic is 7 weeks down. The first WMM of the year was in Tokyo last weekend. Rupp gets beaten in the US Indoor Champs, there’s a new record at the English National Cross Country Champs and women know your place.
- Episode 215 - Joyce Smith (Part Two)
- Haile's pacing London, the Commonwealth Games announce their marathon route, Joyce Smith is back for part two, eight men dip under the hour in the UAE and there's a new World record in Barcelona.
- Episode 214 - Joyce Smith (Part One)
- We're back from the very first Marathon Talk run weekend in the New Forest. We speak to two time Olympian, former British record holder and first female winner of the London Marathon Joyce Smith. There’s world running news, rate your run, the listener podium, Boy on the Run is here, Jantastic distance targets have started and we catch up with British marathon runner and Commonwealth Games hopeful Alyson Dixon in Kenya.
- Episode 213 - Leanne Davies
- Mo and Paula hang out in Iten, a Brit runs all the way across Canada and there’s some controversial comments around Galen Rupp. Is swimming the answer? Training Talk takes you through the bad times, Tony’s here with his Trials and Martin speaks to Leanne Davies from Run Mummy Run.
- Episode 212 - Ben Livesey
- Jantastic runners have run over 130,000 times! There’s a 'young' winner of the Dubai Marathon and a 2nd time winner in Osaka. Tokyo release their elite field. We find out which elite women will be in London. American Galen Rupp continues his streak of impressive form. We speak to British marathon debutant and prospect Ben Livesey. Training talk looks at picking a marathon warm up race. Where are the women on the podium?
- Episode 211 - Remembering Sir Chris Chataway
- Tom’s back from South Africa. We remember a legend of British running. Galen Rupp goes fast. Meb takes his 22nd title. The TNUTMB fills up. Training Talk is about January marathon reflections. Jantastic is bombing! Tony shares his trials and also news of a special event in Manchester. You rate your run, the podium rocks and we celebrate the global running community.
- Episode 210 - Martin Green
- Stellar fields are announced on both sides of the Pond, Gemma Steel takes a cross country win in Edinburgh, Chris Thompson takes a pop at British Athletics, Boy on the Run is back and Training Talk looks at Alberto Salazaar’s 'Ten Golden Rules'. The podium is quiet but Jantastic is bonkers and we speak to 2013 Jantastic Champion Martin Green.
- Episode 209 - Alexandra Heminsley
- Running Like a Girl author Alexandra Heminsley speaks to Martin, Bekele isn’t doing London, over eighteen thousand people are doing Jantastic, Toni Reavis feels the chill and Training Talk turns up the heat. Tony’s in the house, we’ve got Rate Your Run, the Listener Podium, Launch Pad and your Something of the Week.
- Episode 208 - Jim Murray
- We review what we did over Christmas. Jantastic has had over 10,000 people sign up so far. We look at the top female performances from the London Marathon. Dave Bedford gets an OBE. We interview new member of the 100 marathon club and Marathon Talk ‘ever present’ Jim Murray, training talk is about resolutions, Boy on the Run is back and the launchpad is … quiet.
- Episode 207 - Pete Pfitzinger
- Happy Christmas! US Olympic marathoner and marathon training guru Pete Pfitzinger joins us for an extended interview.
- Episode 206 - Rebecca Tomlinson
- We talk about different types of runner. Yuki sets yet another record. It's less than 20 days until Jantastic 2014 kicks off. The Marathon Talk spring 2014 weekend is almost full. We speak to Rebecca Tomlinson about her running, there’s the podium, rate your run and Tony’s Trials and training talk is about the 12 days of running Christmas.
- Episode 205 - Mark Steinle
- The last British man to break 2:10 for the marathon, Mark Steinle, speaks to Martin, Ken Bekele gets into his marathon training, we've news of British gold in the European XC Championships. Boy on the Run is back, Training Talk is all about your race-day checklist and Jantastic gathers pace.
- Episode 204 - Haile Gebrselassie
- Jantastic 2014 is open for sign up! We bag a last minute interview with the Ethiopian Emperor of Endurance, Haile Gebrselassie. We look back at last week's Fukuoka Marathon and Facebook Friday was lively. You rate your run, there’s a serious podium, Tony is back with his Trials and we’re showing some Aussie love in our Video of the Week.
- Episode 203 - Boy on the Run
- Jantastic is nearly here, the Japanese running phenomenon roles on, Mike Wardian attempts to win two marathons in one day, Training Talk gives us five top non-running tips, Tom speaks to the Boy on the Run and there’s an amazing Video of the Week.
- Episode 202 - Dan Robinson and Hannah Oldroyd
- We're talking getting 'yoofed', gun time v chip time, Coe on Mo, 26.2 car stickers, and the ‘what would Dan do comeback’. You rate your run, there’s the forgotten one on the podium, Tony’s been in Spain, we speak to Noel Thatcher about the depth of Japanese running and catch up with ‘Dan (not the) Robinson and the Hannah Oldroyd.
- Episode 201 - Lisa Weightman
- Lisa Weightman drops in from Down Under, we have got some great stories of training for and racing in the New York City Marathon, Wilson and Edna are the 2013 marathoners of the year, Training Talk is all about winter running, Boy on the Run is back and we’ll announce this week’s Winner of the Week live from Facebook.
- Episode 200 - Ronnie O'Sullivan (Part Two)
- On this week's show we're celebrating our 200th episode. We're joined by Tony for a little nostalgia. We've got the second part of our interview with snooker legend Ronnie O'Sullivan and a look back at last weekends ING New York City Marathon. The listener podium is back. Plus, how long could you knit a scarf whilst running a marathon?
- Episode 199 - Ronnie O'Sullivan
- Ronnie O'Sullivan is in the studio, Matt Barnes is in Frankfurt, the New York City Marathon is going to be amazing, the Listener Podium is back (sort of) and Martin Rees breaks another World Record.
- Episode 198 - Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon
- Thank you - we've broken through 2million download mark! It’s Yorkshire tough at the first Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon. We catch up with For All Events organiser Mike Tomlinson and women’s second placer Holly Rush. There’s a 3-peat in Amsterdam, records in Toronto and Gemma Steel is on top form in Birmingham. We ask you to complete the our runner survey. Tony brings us his trials, you rate your run and we announce our spring marathon.
- Episode 197 - Kona
- Boys take over the Yelling household, there’s nearly another World record in Chicago, Yuki finishes 2nd in Melbourne, Tom’s been to Kona and back, there’s Tony’s Trials, Training Talk is a top ten tips for race week and the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon is almost upon us!
- Episode 196 - Andrew Bayston & Nell McAndrew
- Nell McAndrew joins Tom this week as Martin's having twins... although his shorts do make an appearance! There's news of an awesome performance by Susan Partridge, the website's down but Tony's here and we've got a great interview with debutant marathon wheelchair athlete Andrew Bayston.
- Episode 195 - Richard Whitehead
- Wilson Kipsang sets a new World record for the marathon, Irina Mikitenko sets a Masters’ World Record in the same race, Andrew Lemoncello goes for a half-marathon World record and the London Marathon break a charity World record. Martin’s about to have twins and Tom holds the coats in Sheffield
- Episode 194 - Berlin Marathon preview
- The BMW Berlin Marathon is coming up and Kenyan Wilson Kipsang says he’s up for a World Record. We speak to top British Olympian Scott Overall about his aspirations and emerging British female marathoner Jocelyn Payne about hers. The New York Marathon also announce their elite field. There's a new fastest London tube run. Boy on the Run is back. Training Talk is about race pacing, you Rate Your Run and the Podium is stacked.
- Episode 193 - Paul Pollock
- We're joined this week by Irish international and IAAF Moscow World Marathon Championships 21st placer Paul Pollock. Mo and Jonny lose it on the line, Tony joins us from the Great North Run and Martin speaks to a real life Red Squirrel.
- Episode 192 - Jeffrey Eggleston
- Jeffrey Eggleston was the first American home in this year's World Marathon Championships, Tony brings us an epic Trials, Berlin and Chicago announce epic fields and the Magic Mile Champions are announced. Plus we've got some great Rate Your Runs, Winners of the Week and all the news and gossip from the World of running.
- Episode 191 - Ron Clarke (Part Two)
- Tom’s back in the room. The Magic Mile roars on. What would you do in a sprint finish? News of far fewer elite prize purses for offer in the USA. Bekele says he is up for the marathon in Rio. Boston Marathon registration opens. 400m hurdles, on a bike? Boy on the Run is here, we have the second part of our interview with Aussie legend Ron Clarke and we rave about a tiny half marathon with a big heart!
- Episode 190 - Ron Clarke (Part One)
- Tom is on holiday at his second home in the Maldives and so Laura Fountain joins Martin this week. We’ve got news of coaches that cannot be serious, things to do on holiday, and Jeffrey Egglestons blog. The Magic Mile is underway. Training Talk is about mid-way Autumn marathon prep. Boy on the Run is in town. We speak with Aussie running legend Ron Clarke, and the podium is loaded!
- Episode 189 - Moscow 2013 (Part Two)
- It's the second week of the IAAF World Championships, we speak to Brett Larner and Tom Bedford. Mike Tomlinson drops in with just 61 days to go until the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon. Mo does the Double Double, the men’s marathon field gets Kipped, plus we’ve got the usual Rate Your Run, Tony’s Trials and an amazing Video of the Week.
- Episode 188 - Moscow 2013 (Part One)
- Moscow IAAF World Athletics Championships. Mo is the King, but it was close. Dibaba is queen. The women’s marathon rolled through quiet streets led by a gutsy Italian. We speak to both British representatives Susan Partridge and Sonia Samuels. The Magic Mile kicks off in 2 weeks. There’s a great food focused rate your run. BoTR is back and there’s a chance to run naked. With tigers.
- Episode 187 - Laura Fountain
- Lazy Girl Running Laura Fountain speaks to Martin, we preview the Women's World Championship Marathon, Gemma Steel runs a super fast road 10k, Steve Way wins his first ever 100k, the Magic Mile inches closer, Tony brings us his Trials and we hear from Siberia about their new youth development programme.
- Episode 186 - adidas Thunder Run
- It's an adidas Thunder Run special! We look back at a weekend of scorching sunshine, torrential rain, knee deep mud and hundreds of kilometres of happy, tough, exhilarating running. There’s a little news, a special Thunder Run ‘rate your run’, and Tony’s Trials is back!
- Episode 185 - Sian Williams
- Sian Williams pops over from the BBC, Zoe Romano reaches Paris, Mo Farah breaks another British record and we feel the need for speed as the Magic Mile opens. There's a Streak of the Week, Boy on the Run is back, you Rate Your Run and a tumbleweed roles across the Listener Podium!
- Episode 184 - Zoe Romano
- Runners are hot, definately hot. We have an amazing interview with Zoe Romano. She’s running the route of the Tour de France. The Magic mile is ready! Get in. There’s a new feature on the show ‘Boy on the Run’. Global track and field deals with a doping shocker. There’s just 1 woman in the British 10000m trials and a genuine superstar winner of the week.
- Episode 183 - Daz Reevell
- The Magic Mile is LIVE! Richard Whitehead talks running across Britain, Daz Reevell juggles work, girls, training and racing, Yuki nearly sets another record, Darth Vader runs a mile, you Rate Your Run, there’s a Down Under dominated listener podium and of course, Tony brings us his Trials.
- Episode 182 - Graham Poll
- We ask you to run a single mile as fast as you can. The 2013 Magic Mile is ready to go! We speak to top English football referee Graham Poll about training, running and football. We look back at a cracking Diamond League 5000m finish and a super hard mountain vertical km. You rate your run, there’s a young winner, and Tony brings us his trials.
- Episode 181 - Martin Rees
- The fastest masters runner in the UK right now, Welshman Martin Rees is in the studio. We hear just how fast Usain Bolt could run a marathon, announce the winners of the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon place and get excited about the fast approaching adidas Thunder Run.
- Episode 180 - Malcolm Brown
- Coach to the Brownlees Malcolm Brown speaks to Tom, Yuki gets stuck inside his mansuit, there’s some great goody bag stories, we catch up with the Jane Tomlinson appeal, you Rate Your Run, Tony brings us his Trials and there’s a short Something of the Week...
- Episode 179 - Adharanand Finn (Part Two)
- We have the second part of our brilliant interview with Running with the Kenyans author Adharanand Finn, some quite stunning pacing from the Rome Diamond League and even more stunning running from Tommy Hughes. You know you’re a Marathon Talker when...? There's the fastest half marathon ever in the USA. Tony’s Trials, the Listener Launch Pad and Training Talk is all about PBs.
- Episode 178 - Adharanand Finn (Part One)
- Adharanand Finn talks Running with the Kenyans, Mo gets beaten, we reminisce over Comrades, there’s a 14 year old girl running 7 marathons across 7 continents, a 53 year old bloke winning a marathon in 2:30, Training Talk is all about the need for speed, there’s Rate Your Run and a stacked Listener Podium... and Martin finds his next challenge.
- Episode 177 - Matt Briggs
- We announce the team line up for the Marathon Talk team at the adidas TR24. Mo wins in London. Haile sets another World Record. We’ve got a short audio reminder of Comrades awesomeness. We speak to to Andi Jones after his 2hrs19minutes at the Edinburgh Marathon and to Matt Briggs after he lost seventeen and a half stone.
- Episode 176 - Amy Whitehead
- Find out how to win a place in the MT24 team at the adidas Thunder Run. We hear from elite marathoner Amy Whitehead about progress post VLM2013. Steve Cram tells us about the Kielder Marathon. Boston Marathoners get a 2014 entry. Mo continues his winning streak. Hall’s back on the roads. Tony brings us his weekly trials. Plus, just how do you drive a pace bus?
- Episode 175 - Joe Symonds
- Joe Symonds won the Yorkshire Three Peaks Marathon for the second time, Martin investigated the Full Foster, Tony brought us his Trials, WADA toughened up and there was a funny video of the week.
- Episode 174 - Alistair Brownlee
- Tom’s having coffee and talking running with Olympic triathlon champion Alistair Brownlee. We look at some sub 2hr marathon thoughts. There’s a novel way to get a running date. How awkward is fancy dress? Training Talk looks at summer strategy. Tony brings us his trials. The podium is full and we’ve a classic race number winner of the week.
- Episode 173 - Dave Norman & Issy Menzies
- Dave Norman and Issy Menzies just won the Greater Manchester Marathon, we speak to them both. Kenya announce their World Championship marathon probables, Japan announce their team and British Athletics announce theirs. Kind of. Training Talk looks at how to respond after your marathon, you Rate Your Run and there’s another fast Podium.
- Episode 172 - Virgin London Marathon
- Wow, what a week! We review all the events from the Virgin London Marathon including the expo, catching up with the 3 of the fastest marathoners on the planet, plus all the spoils, speed and successes from the race itself. There’s the fastest listener podium ever, Tony talks seconds in his VLM experience and there’s a BBC runners view in our video of the week.
- Episode 171 - Boston 2013
- On Monday the 15th of April 2013 two explosions rocked the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three spectators and seriously injuring many more. We spoke to five people each with their own personal insight into that day's tragic events.
- Live from London 2013 - Thursday
- We're live from London and this is the first of our additional shows leading into the Virgin London Marathon. We’ve got the results from Brighton and Boston, you rate your run, there’s a stacked podium, Tony brings us his Trials and we laugh a video of the week from Paris!
- Live from London 2013 - Friday
- Wilson Kipsang, Patrick Makau and Geoffrey Mutai have all broken 2:04 for the marathon distance and the combined times of their PBs would be enough to beat over 5% of Virgin London Marathon finishers in a normal year! Need we say more.
- Live from London 2013 - Saturday
- Wheelchair athlete Shelly Woods and runner Scott Overall both represented Team GB in the 2012 Games, Liz Yelling is a double Oympian and Commonwealth bronze medalist and Tony Audenshaw is the creative genius behind Tony's Trials. We spoke to all three of them today at the Virgin London Marathon expo.
- Episode 170 - adidas Boost Old Deer Park parkrun
- 'Live' from Old Deer Park parkrun we have interviews with some of the adidas elite athletes. Tom's away on holiday and so Martin is joined by the amazing Tony's Audenshaw to review Paris marathon and talk about the forthcoming Brighton and Boston marathons. You rate your run, the launchpad is fast and the video of the week is a sheepish pearler. In the final spring marathon countdown training talk we're joined by two time Olympian Liz Yelling.
- Episode 169 - Jantastic 2013 results
- Our amazing spring motivation challenge, Jantastic is complete! Who has won the limited edition adidas MT trainers and the VIP VLM 2014 entry? Is time up for Paula Radcliffe? Zola’s doing Comrades. It’s April and that means spring marathon season is really here! Training Talk this week is taper talk. Tony brings us his trials, you rate your run and there's a nonagenarian smack down.
- Episode 168 - Sophie Raworth
- We hear from the World Cross Country Championships, speak to Diane Adkins, Steve Way, Jaz Bangerh and Sophie Raworth, Jantastic enters its final week, we’ve got Tony’s Trials, a freezing cold video of the week and a super speedy co-host all the way from Boulder.
- Episode 167 - Libby James
- There are 2 weeks to go in Jantastic 2013. 110,000 runs logged! We’ve news about blogs, fast fields, inspiring winners and big race big name drop outs. Yuki runs a PB, again. Tom speaks to the amazing 103% age grading Libby James. Training Talk covers racing in a marathon build up. Tony brings us his hilarious trials. You rate your run and the podium is largely Spanish.
- Episode 166 - Richard Whitehead
- Team GB 2012 Paralympic Gold Medallist Richard Whitehead and Professor Andrew Lane chat to Martin, the Jantastic performances roll in, there’s a Japanese Olympian on the comeback trail and a British Olympian taking time out, the England Commonwealth standards cause controversy, the Gaza Marathon is cancelled (are there any ladies present), there’s Tony’s Trials, Video of the Week and a full listener podium.
- Episode 165 - Dave Moorcroft (Part Two)
- The Olympic marathon Champ crashes his car and the Boston champ is a Kenyan MP. Bath, Biwa and Silverstone race results. The second 4 weeks of Jantastic 2013 is complete. There's the second part of our interview with former 5000m world record holder Dave Moorcroft. In our marathon training talk countdown we speak to Matt Fitzgerald about nutrition. Tony brings us his trials and who will top the podium?
- Episode 164 - Dave Moorcroft (Part One)
- In 1982 Dave Moorcroft smashed the World 5,000m record out of sight, in the 30 years since then no non-African runner has achieved the same! Mo did however just break the British half marathon record, it was the Tokyo Marathon and Martin spoke to Adam Eason about developing the running mind.
- Episode 163 - Helen Clitheroe
- We’re half way through Jantastic 2013. Febulous long runs are rolling and you just keep running! There’s huge trouble for South African Paralympic champion Oscar Pistorius. Mo Farah is running half of the London marathon. There’s a superfast RAK half. Kenyan legend Moses Kiptanui speaks out. Training Talk looks at getting the edge. We speak to GB track star Helen Clitheroe about her marathon debut.
- Episode 162 - Kurt Fearnley (Part two)
- We have a triple header of interviews including part two with Kurt Fearnley, a Training Talk with physio Mark Buckingham and adidas' Global Head of Running Marcus Wucherer. There’s a little news, a Jantastic update, you Rate Your Run, there’s total podium domination and a great video of the week.
- Episode 161 - Kurt Fearnley (Part one)
- Yuki Kawauchi does the ultimate mansuit zipping. There's some news regarding supplement use. The first 4 weeks of Jantastic is complete and we announce our first months winners of adidas high viz running jackets. Febulous kicks off! There’s a Tony’s Trials takedown and great results on this week podium. We’ve got the first of our 2 part interview with 2 time Paralympic wheelchair marathon champion Kurt Fearnley.
- Episode 160 - Brett Larner
- Brett Larner is the founder and main man behind the amazing Japan Running News, talking of amazing how about a sprint finish in Dubai between five runners, all finishing under 2:05 including a junior World record by 90 seconds! The London Marathon announce the World's most elite field ever and the Baby Faced Destroyer steps up to 26.2.
- Episode 159 - Prof John Brewer
- It's week 3 of Jantastic! There’s a little Lance chat. Mara Yamauchi announces retirement. It’s week 4 of Training Talk building into your spring marathon. We speak to Professor John Brewer about marathon running. You rate your run but the podium is snow decimated. Tony brings us his trials, and there’s a real sporting winner.
- Episode 158 - Amby Burfoot
- Amby Burfoot won the Boston Marathon in 1968 and is still going strong with over 50 consecutive years of competitive running. The Yorkshire Marathon sells out in just four days, Jantastic kicks off in style. Plus Training Talk covers week three of your 15 week marathon training schedule.
- Episode 157 - Mike Tomlinson
- Jantastic 2013 is here! It’s the first week of our spring motivation running challenge. We speak to the inspiring Mike Tomlinson about For All Events and a brand new marathon in Yorkshire. It’s week 2 of our countdown Training Talk. There’s a little news. We announce the Marathon Talk podium of the year for 2012. There’s Rate your Run, a rave and of course Tony’s Trials.
- Episode 156 - Kelly Sotherton
- Happy New Year! Olympic medallist Kelly Sotherton joins Martin, we bring you up to speed with festive news. Jantastic starts on Monday the 7th of January and we speak with last year's overall prize winner Diane Adkins. You rate your Christmas runs, Tony brings us his trials and training talk sets you on the way to your spring marathon.
- Episode 155 - Jez Bragg Te Araroa
- Happy Christmas everyone. Jez Bragg talks about his amazing Te Araroa adventure. The 'Long Pathway' stretches for over 1800miles from the tip to the toe of New Zealand and Jez is running the lot! He's covering 2 marathons a day (or more!) for 50 days. He shares his first week with us.
- Episode 154 - Derek Ivens
- Training Talk is all about surviving Christmas. Listener Mark Ince shares his running highlights from 2012, but what were yours? Wiggo wins again. Yuki does the mansuit double and Mosop to run in Dubai. You have a rave. Tony shares his trials. You rate your run and who is on the podium?
- Episode 153 - Joseph Kibur
- We speak to Ethiopian Joseph Kibur about his project the YaYa Girls running programme near Addis Ababa. Wilson Kipsang dominates in Honolulu, no British runner leaves the European Cross without a medal and Ryan Hall gets a new coach. You Rate Your Run, tell us where you’ve been running in the Listener Podium, Tony brings his trials and Christmas is only 2 weeks away!
- Episode 152 - Chris Fulcher
- We update you on Jantastic and AdventYourRun. There is news from marathons across the world including couples getting hitched and runners going wrong. 2012 has been the fastest in marathoning history at the sharp end. Tony brings us his weekly trials, you share your weekly run ratings and we’ve got a super interview with the inspiring former sedentary specialist turned Welsh international runner Chris Fulcher.
- Episode 151 - Andrew Lemoncello
- Andrew Lemoncello gets ready for Fukuoka, it's time for fantastic Jantastic, we advent our December running, complete last week's Training Talk, catch up with Tony, and find out what's happening in the World running news.
- Episode 150 - 500 Marathon Man: Steve Edwards
- There’s a trio of news from Japanese races, a chance to win a place in the Virgin London Marathon 2013. Ultra runner Jez Bragg announces a great New Zealand adventure and we talk to the incredible Steve Edwards. He’s run 500 marathon’s in under 3hrs30mins. Training Talk this week is all about planning a successful winter. You rate your run, give us a winner and who will make the podium?
- Episode 149 - Michael Shelley
- Michael Shelley placed 16th in the London 2012 men’s Olympic marathon, Martin caught up with him about all things running. What were your biggest marathon training mistakes? There’s some news from Beijing and Bournemouth, and Sodbury and Snowdon, and a runner who’s competed 500 sub 3:30 marathons.
- Episode 148 - Not the New York City Marathon
- The New York City Marathon that wasn’t. For the first time in its history New York was cancelled. We look back at why and some reaction from runners, including ‘Phileas Jogg’ Adam Chataway and elites Scott Overall and Susan Partridge as well as regular Marathon Talk listener Ben Wickham. There’s the normal podium, Tony’s Trials, and you rant and rave!
- Episode 147 - Tricia Bunn
- Adam ‘over half way’ Chattaway updates us after Nairobi and Dublin, we chat to Marathon Talk ‘ever present’, and Boston 2013 qualifier Tricia Bunn. Pavey takes top spot in the Great South Run and Patrick Makau wins in Frankfurt. We have a quick preview of this weekend’s ING NYC Marathon. Training Talk encourages you to negative split your next marathon build up. There’s Tony’s Trials, the podium and you rave!
- Episode 146 - Julia Bleasdale
- Adam 'Chaffaway' gives us his latest update from Jordan. Fresh from Amsterdam Tony tells his trials. There is news from Birmingham and Abingdon. A superfast men's podium and a great girls gear rant. Training Talk is all about getting ready for winter and this week we speak to 8th placed finisher in both the 5000m and 10000m at the London 2012 Olympic Games - Julia Bleasdale.
- Episode 145 - Jocelyn Payne
- Leeds student Jocelyn Payne talks about the training that saw her break three hours in Berlin, Ed Whitlock breaks yet another World age record, we catch up with the ‘Brit with the bleeding tit’ Adam Chaffaway, there’s Tony’s Trials, you Rant, and there’s a super stacked Listener Podium.
- Episode 144 - Lee Troop (Part Two)
- Ethiopians rule at the Chicago Marathon. Brit girls do well at the World half marathon championships. There's a new marathon world record from a bloke in a suit. We catch up with Adam Chataway after his first of 6 marathons and have the 2nd part of our insightful interview with Aussie marathoner Lee Troop. You rate your run. Tony brings us his dogged trials and you rave about beating the sweeper.
- Episode 143 - Lee Troop (Part One)
- Lee Troop has represented Australia at three Olympic Games, we look back at events at the recent BMW Berlin Marathon, catch up with Adam Chataway about his around the world marathon challenge, 16men go sub 3hrs on the podium, Tony brings us his trials, you rant and we get an email about large testicles.
- Episode 142 - Prof Tim Noakes
- Prof Tim Noakes discusses his latest thoughts on carbohydrates. Yuki does the double, there’s a promising racing return for Andrew Lemoncello and our most inspiring Magic Mile ever. We take a look ahead to this weekends Berlin Marathon. Tony brings us his weekly trials, the podium is full and training talk is about being strong in the head when the going gets tough.
- Episode 141 - Zola Budd (Part Two)
- Final results of the 2012 Magic Mile and the second part of our interview with running icon Zola Budd. Five time Paralympian Noel Thatcher joins us for a London 2012 Paralympic Games review. Dibaba and Kipsang rule at the Great North Run and Ed Whitlock breaks another WR. Training Talk deals with race pacing and the weekly podium is full!
- Episode 140 - Zola Budd (Part One)
- Zola Budd joins us for the first time, Martin's back in the Alps and been on prison break. Tom’s been 4:60 miling. Team UK currently lead the Magic Mile. Ryan Hall’s out of New York and Lance Armstrongs out of Chicago but Cathy Freeman's in New York and Paula Radcliffe’s in London (hopefully). The 2012 Paralympics 2012 come to a close and there's the usual rants, raves and trials.
- Episode 139 - Andy Baddeley
- Tom's back in the house. The 2012 London Paralympic Games kicked off in exciting and controversial style. Whitehead and Weir take gold. The 2012 Magic Mile has also started and Team USA are in the lead! We get all mile excited and talk to Britain's top miler Andy Baddeley. Would you fib about your marathon PB? Tony runs 2 marathons in one day and the launchpad is loaded!
- Episode 138 - Geoff Wightman
- Martin's back but for the first time ever Tom’s away Martin’s joined by ‘Robbo’ from ‘The Naked Runners’ for the whole show including some Magic Mile ‘trash talk’. There’s news from the world of running including Paula’s foot and Mo’s twins. This week’s interview is with London 2012 Olympic athletics announcer and 2:13 marathoner Geoff Wightman. The Magic Mile kicks off next week! You rate your run and rant and Tony’s is back is his place.
- Episode 137 - Matt Barnes
- For the first time ever Martin's not here! We have however got a fantastic Magic Mile style interview with the sub four minute miling maestro and my mile mentor Matt Barnes, we have a Training Talk about Autumn marathons, our fastest ever listener podium person, there's a Rant, you Rate Your Run, but there's no Tony's Trials because he's here in the studio.
- Episode 136 - Olympic Marathon Review
- The London 2012 Olympic Games comes to a close. We look back at the amazing festival that was the Olympics and review the surprise that was the men's marathon, including a catch up Team GB's men Lee Merrien and Scott Overall. David Rudisha runs a new 800m world record and Magic Mo 'does the double'. There's a right royal winner of the week. Tony brings us his weekly trials and the launch pad is getting busier.
- Episode 135 - Team GB Women
- Freya, Claire and Mara pop in to the studio following their marathon efforts on Sunday. There's Mo Farah’s superb 10,000m and the Marathon Talk Massive go mad on Friday Street. We also look forward to this weekends men’s Olympic Marathon – can Kenya win? There’s Rate your Run, Tony’s Trials a rave about a plastic Brit and the Marathon Talk Listener Launchpad.
- Episode 134 - Women's Olympic Marathon.
- The London 2012 Olympic Games are in town! We preview the women's Olympic marathon this Sunday. Paula Radcliffe injury woes as the world record holder withdraws from the marathon. Freya Murray steps in. We speak to Team GB marathoners Scott Overall, Freya Murray, Lee Merrien and Claire Hallissey ahead of the Games. The Magic Mile hots up and Tony brings us his weekly trials.
- Episode 133 - Jess Draskau-Petersson
- It is just 2 days to go until the 2012 London Olympic Games opens and we are super excited. Scott Overall wins in Sheffield. We speak to Danish marathon representative Jess Draskau-Petersson. The Magic Mile 2012 is OPEN! Remember Friday Street is the place to be on August 5th for the women's Olympic marathon. You rant. Tony brings us his weekly Trials and did we say the Olympic Games in London starts in 2 days!
- Episode 132 - John Bryant (Part Two)
- The Magic Mile is officially OPEN! We’ve got the second part of our interview with John Bryant, London 2012 is getting uber close and Friday Street is the place to be on August 5th. There’s a Diamond League update, you Rate Your Run and have a Rant, Rave and Winner of the Week. Tony brings us his weekly Trials... and Tom’s buying a gruffalo.
- Episode 131 - John Bryant (Part One)
- The Athletics Show is out Thurs 12th July. 2012 Magic Mile details and where we will be stood to watch the womens Olympic Marathon on Aug 5th? Team GB selection controversy and news of a super fast track 5000m in Paris. Training talk is all about gearing up for your Autumn marathon campaign. Tony brings us his trials and and we interview Fleet Street legend, runner, journalist and historian John Bryant.
- Episode 130 - Julian Goater
- The Magic Mile gets closer, there’s news from the US Olympic Trials and the European Championships, a doubt over a drugs test, Tony brings his trials, you Rate Your Run, nominate a Winner of the Week, and we talk to 8th man on the UK all time list for 10,000m, Julian Goater.
- Episode 129 - Dr Andrew Murray
- Team GB, the magic mile, a fast 10k in Boston, some great Kenyan performances, Ellie Greenwood wins the WS100. We interview Scotland’s Physical Activity champion Dr Andrew Murray, there’s a full podium, Tony brings us his trials, and there's a North East Winner of the Week.
- Episode 128 - Jason Henderson
- This weekend it is the UKA Olympic track and field trials in Birmingham and we’re joined by the editor of Athletics Weekly, Jason Henderson to preview the middle and long distance events. We have 2 places to give away at the brand new Royal Parks Ultra. We intro the magic mile. Training talk is about regular summer peaking. You have a proper rant. Tony brings us his trials and what’s the deal with podium?
- Episode 127 - Benita Willis
- We're joined by Australian marathon record holder aiming for her 4th Olympic Games in the summer in London Benita Willis. There’s a significant Kenyan change for their Olympic marathon team. There’s news of some amazing track performances in the Diamond league, a little controversy in Japan and someone runs underground. You rate your run and have a rave and Training Talk is with Andy Blow all about hydration.
- Episode 126 - Frank Shorter
- Frank Shorter is a legend of marathoning and the man quoted as leading the running boom in the USA in the 1970s. We review Comrades and super fast runs from “Mo – Jo”, and Anthony Whiteman inspires Tom by running a sub 4min mile aged 40! You rate your run and rave. Tony goes to the fair and in Training Talk Martin helps Tom prepare for his first track 1500m.
- Episode 125 - Jason Hartmann
- Boston 2012 4th placer Jason Hartmann is on the show. There's news from the Edinburgh Marathon including a chat with Hayley Haining. Haile runs his final track 10000m. Mo and Mara take top spots in the Bupa London 10000. 50,000 people run in Boulder. An almighty Kenyan smack down is set for this weekend in Oregon. Tony brings us weekly trials. You have a rant. The podium is full and we talk heart rates with Dr Garry Palmer.
- Episode 124 - Lee Merrien
- Haile's back on top, Pavey goes top of Europe, Farah does the double and Ennis is one hurdle short. This weekend it’s the Edinburgh Marathon. We catch up with Lee Merrien and with Comrades around the corner we talk to Andrea Moritz. You rave and podium and Tony shares his weekly trials.
- Episode 123 - Dr Steve Ingham
- Tom likes the Episode number. We talk to Head of EIS and physiology guru Dr Steve Ingham. The Olympic torch is on its way to London. There’s news from the Prague Marathon and an almighty 10k smackdown coming up this weekend in Manchester. You rate your run and have a rave. We catch up 5000m Team GB hopeful Justina Heslop. Tony brings us his Trials and the launchpad rocks.
- Episode 122 - Toni Reavis
- The original running commentator Toni Reavis joins Martin, Tom speaks to Jerry Rothwell, producer of the film about Ethiopian running – ‘Town of Runners’. Olympic Games marathon team selection shenanigans in Ireland and Canada. There’s rate your run and who will be top of this week's Marathon Talk podium.
- Episode 121 - Nell McAndrew
- The stormy weather livened up marathons in the UK this past weekend. Ethiopians rule in Germany. Merrien gets the London 2012 call up. 5 Brits run fast in Stanford. Virgin London Marathon ballot opens and closes! We’ve got a great interview with celebrity 2:54 marathon runner Nell McAndrew. Fast and full podiums. Tony's Trials. You rant. The launchpad rumbles!
- Episode 120
- Kipsang and Keitany smash it. Just how will the Kenyan team be picked now! Team GB finalise their marathon runners. Steve Way, Diane Aykroyd and Liz Yelling share their race stories. Tony brings us his VLM schoolboy trials, you rate your run and rave and there’s a super fast, super full podium.
- Episode 119 - Steve Way & Diane Ackroyd
- All the weekend action inclding a surprise take down for Moses Mosop in Rotterdam, a big dent to Paula Radcliffe's confidence in Vienna, course records in Paris & Brighton, all the hot news from the cauldron of Boston. Bekele is back. It's the Virgin London Marathon this weekend and the stakes are super high. We review the elite and domestic races plus chat to two runners, one hoping to run fast and the other doing a first marathon.
- Live from the London Marathon 2012 - Thursday
- Our first ever show straight from a big city maraton, joined by Scott Overall, Steve Way, Alex Flynn, and a 95 year old phenomenon.
- Live from the London Marathon 2012 - Friday
- Less than 48 hours from the start of the London Marathon and the excitement was building on the expo stage.
- Live from the London Marathon 2012 - Saturday
- With less than 24 hours until the race starts Saturday lunchtime at the VLM expo is packed full of atmosphere. Liz Yelling and Tony Audenshaw joined Martin and Tom on the stage, and we even snuck in a quick chat with GB ultra runner Ellie Greenwood.
- Episode 118 - Kathrine Switzer (Part Two)
- We have a look at the Kenyan race for Olympic Games selection. Ryan Hall’s got a 2012 movie coming out. Yuki the swimmer? You Rate Your Run and Tony brings us his trials. There’s a full podium, Training Talk is all about getting race week right and we’ve got the 2nd part of our fascinating interview with pioneer of women’s running Kathrine Switzer.
- Episode 117 - Kathrine Switzer (Part One)
- Find out who has won a VIP place in the 2013 Virgin London Marathon. Hear the first part of our interview with a pioneer of women's running, Kathrine Switzer. There's some rather sad news from the running community. Some news of some very fast half marathon results and the retirement of a former marathon world record holder. Tony brings us up to speed in his weekly trials and thanks to you we celebrate cracking 1 million show downloads.
- Episode 116 - Reid Coolsaet
- Our spring motivation campaign draws to a close, we bring you results from a speedy race in Lisbon. Which is the fastest half marathoning nation in the world? Is Haile getting fat? Who would want to be paced by mansuit zipping Yuki? You rate your run and have a rant. Training Talk is all about reaching a peak/ tapering and Tony talks to us about his current state of mind
- Episode 115 - Paul Evans (Part Two)
- Listen to the second part of our interview with GB 2:08 runner and former Chicago winner Paul Evans. We’re in the final week of Marchvellous. There’s news from the NYC Half marathon, the LA marathon and the Kenyan 10000m Olympic Games selection race in America. You rate your run, what’s the worse thing thrown at you during a run, plus what’s Tony up to this week? Spring marathon season is bonkers and so the launchpad is stacked!
- Episode 114 - Paul Evans (Part One)
- Paul Evans is the 4th fastest British marathoner of all time, has finished third in the London marathon, 2nd in New York, and first in Chicago. The Japanese Olympic games marathon team is announced, we update the scores in Marchvellous, you have the chance to buy a 6”silver cup for £120,000, Chrissie Wellington's running London, Scott Overall's pacing London, Farah gets 4th and there’s other news from the world of running.
- Episode 113 - Steve Cram (Part Two)
- This week it's business as usual. Well almost. Martin is away running a training camp in Lanzarote. We catch up with the second part of our amazing intervew with 1980's global middle distance icon, the Jarrow Arrow, Steve Cram. We bring you up to speed with what has been happening in the world of endurance running, particularly japanese style, we update the first week of Marchvellous and Tony gives us a ticking off.
- Episode 112 - Live from Leeds
- Our first ever live show, recorded in front of a studio audience of over 200 people... joined by Team GB Olympic marathoner Tracey Morris, and with a brilliant live Tony's Trials, this was a big night out for the Marathon Talk community. All the usual stuff was there, plus a special Winner of the Week, and plenty of audience participation.
- Episode 111 - Steve Cram (Part One)
- On this week’s show we interview a legend of the golden era of British Middle distance running Steve Cram. It’s Marathon Talk Live today in Leeds. We update Febulous and introduce Marchvellous. Mary Keitany and Mo Farah run fast. Runners go long in the Brighton Half. Training Talk is all about how to work your pace out for a marathon. You rate your runs and this week there’s a Kiwi ranting.
- Episode 110 - Karen Darke
- We bring you up to speed with some goings on from the world of running including the Boston marathon elite fields. We look at who’s topping the tables in Febulous and what's happening in Marchvellous. We’ve got an amazing interview with an inspiring woman – Karen Darke. You rate your run, there’s a super chilly winner of the week, Tony brings us his trials and we talk '20 milers – to do or not to do' in training talk.
- Episode 109 - Sir Chris Chataway (Part Two)
- On this week’s show we’ve got the second half of the fascinating interview with legend Sir Chris Chataway, it's the end of the first week of febulous, it's 'ahhh Vienna' for Paula, there's more trouble in the Kenyan selection camp, Mo takes a sub 4 tumble and 76 men run under 64 mins for a half in Japan. You rate your run, there’s a tripletastic fundraising winner, Tony brings us his weekly trials and snow doesn’t stop play in the UK.
- Episode 108 - Sir Chris Chataway (Part One)
- In 1954 Sir Chris Chataway paced Roger Banister to the first ever sub four minute mile, broke the World 5,000m record, won Commonwealth gold over three miles, and European silver over 5,000m... and became the first ever BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
- Episode 107 - Haile Gebrselassie
- Haile Gebrselassie is regarded by most as the greatest endurance runner of the modern era, we also heard all about the Kenyan marathon superstars, Jantastic continued in style, we got ready for Febulous, there was a tee-total winner of the week, Tony couldn't give two hoots, and we announced three more amazing interviewees!
- Episode 106 - John Fisher
- On this weeks show we talk to John Fisher. He’s preparing for his 11th London Marathon post heart transplant. We bring you up to speed with the jantastic smack down plus there’s all the amazing news from the USA Olympic Marathon trials in Houston as well as long awaited update on the team of ‘probables’ from Kenya. Tony’s doesn't give two hoots and the King takes Winner of the Week.
- Episode 105 - Happy 2nd Birthday
- It's our second birthday! Tom, Martin, and Tony brought us their interview highlights from 2011 including Matt Dixon, Steve Jones, Liz McColgan, Rob De Castella, Ron Hill, and Greg McMillan, listener Rob Bane created his own Marathon Talk rap, we talked training volumes, speedy Americans and Kenyans, rants, raves, and Winner of the Week.
- Episode 104 - Liz Yelling
- It's been a rocky road for Liz Yelling in her quest to reach her third Olympics, Tom found out how she's pulled through some tough times and how she plans to zip up her training man-suit in preparation for this April's London Marathon. There was sad news with the passing of Frank Horwill and Zithulele Sinqe, Tony cheered us up with a video version of his Trials, and Jantastic kicked off in serious style.
- Episode 103 - Bruce Tulloh
- Happy Christmas 2011. Thank you for all your support in 2011 to help make Marathon Talk a wonderful, supportive and fun community to be a part of. This weeks show is slightly different. We've not got all the weekly news or regular features but instead have a wonderful Christmas special extended interview with true old school running legend and 1962 European 5000m champion Bruce Tulloh. Enjoy.
- Episode 102 - Chris Finill
- News of a new world record. Houston 2012, USA OG trials. An update on team Kenya 2012. Yuki style suit zipping. You rate your runs and we bring you the Marathon Talk podium, rant and rave and winner of the week. We talk Christmas lights, runners Christmas presents, and running over the Christmas period. We've got a great interview with London Marathon ever present Chris Finill. He's run every London since 1981 in under 3hrs!
- Episode 101 - Steve Jones Part 2
- On this weeks show we have the second half of the amazing interview with British running icon and marathon legend Steve Jones. There is an update on the sassy new Marathon Talk adidas kit. We talk spring mojo and jantastic. There is news of the female elite field for the 2012 Virgin London Marathon and some stellar running from the Brit pack at the European cross country champs. We have a raspberry of the week and Tony goes off on one.
- Episode 100 - Steve Jones (Part One)
- Part one of the interview we've all been waiting for... Welsh running legend Steve Jones still holds the British marathon record thanks to his amazing 2:07:13 from Chicago 1985... having also crossed the finish line first in New York and London and, previous to his 2:07 in Chicago, a 2:08:05 on the same course was a World record back in 1984. Enough said for this week we think!
- Episode 99 - Tito Tiberti
- On this weeks show we bring you up to date with Jantastic. We’ve got an interview with the NYC front running Italian chat room favourite Tito Tiberti. One of our listeners is going to run the Mumbai Marathon. We’ve got rate your run, winner of the week, a rave and a 'non-gender' biased rant. With winter drawing closer we talk treadmill running in training talk. Tony mounts a reindeer and we tell you how to get your hands on some new adidas MT kit.
- Episode 98 - Claire Hallissey
- Running 2:36 on her marathon debut in New York last year and following up with 2:29 for 6th place in Chicago this year Claire Hallissey is a serious contender for a place in Team GB for the London Olympics. Diane Aykroyd will also be running the London Marathon next April, she quized Tom with her marathon questions. Tony piled on the pounds, Martin and Tom shared the smackdown spoils, and we celebrated V50 women everywhere.
- Episode 97 - Richard Nerurkar
- On this weeks show we speak to former winner of the marathon world cup and 5th placer in the Atlanta Olympic Games Richard Nerurkar. We catch up with the BBC’s Mark Coyle. Dude where's my car in NYC? Martin gets smack talked. Paula gets her record back. The world champs are in London 2017. Tony brings us his pumpkin trials, you rant and rave and winner of the week and following on from last weeks training talk we talk tactics!
- Episode 96 - Diane Aykroyd
- First time marathon runner (to be) and parkrun 100 Club member Diane Aykroyd popped into the studio, the Kenyan men rounded of their full house of World Marathon Major victories AND World Marathon Major course records, Tom got smaller, Martin hit the beach, and Tony got stuck in to a nice hot Lemsip!
- Episode 95 - Rob de Castella
- Australian marathon legend Rob de Castella joined Martin all the way from down under to talk all about his amazing running career and the great work he's doing with his Indigenous Marathon Project. Tom enjoyed 5 by a km with his Dad, Martin raved about the Frankfurt marathon... and Tony ran 100 miles... or did he?
- Episode 94 - Dr Sue Roberts
- On this weeks show there is an inspiring runner story, listeners 'fess up' to their biggest race confessions and we bring you news of some amazing age related running from the Toronto marathon. There is a double helping of listeners top 5 marathons and rate your run. Plus of course, rant and rave, a winner of the week, Tony talks about what he is up to next (NOT Chester) and there is an interview with Dr Sue Roberts all about overtraining.
- Episode 93 - James Adams
- Tom is the Daddy. This weeks show centres on a fab interview with James Adams. Incredibly James ran from LA to NYC in 70 days covering in excess of a marathon a day! We've still got Tony's Trials and don't worry if you fessed up on facebook, were in our Marathon Talk top 5 or even if you are 80 years old and scorched to a 3hr 15 marathon or 100 years old and ran your 8th marathon. We'll cover it all next week.
- Episode 92 - Brad Hudson
- On this weeks show has Tom had a baby? We talk about amazing races in the Chicago marathon and the incredible Ironman world triathlon championships in Kona. As well as a not so amazing -run - walk - bus strategy. We review your marathons and Tony is 'live' from the Chester Marathon. We interview USA based running coach Brad Hudson about successful first time marathon training.
- Episode 91 - Scott Overall
- In last week's Berlin Marathon GB athlete Scott Overall finished in 5th place and achieved the Olympic A standard time with 2:10:55. Scott talked Martin through his rather special first marathon. Tom didn't have a baby, but did get out foxed at Leeds parkrun... Kenya selected two of their three Olympic marathon men, creating perhaps the most competitive qualification process in history... and someone nicked Tony's bottle... again!
- Episode 90 - Debbie Jevans
- London 2012's Director of Sport Debbie Jevans popped into the Marathon Talk studios to bring us up to speed on the latest in next year's Olympics, Tom took the rain up North with him, Martin earned a stamp in his parkrun passport, Tony jingled his way down the road, and Berlin saw a new marathon World record!
- Episode 89 - Dave Webb
- As the only British male marathon runner to currently have the Olympic A standard Dave Webb is in pole position to qualify for London 2012, Tony dug out his video archive, Martin talked us through a session from his training archive, and Tom talked Great North running...
- Episode 88 - Emma Gooderham
- IAU World Trophy 50km Champion Emma Gooderham told us all about her inspirational rise throug the elite ranks of British and now World running, Chris Jones popped in to tell us everything we needed to know about iron levels and giving blood, Martin and Tom raved about the amazing motivation station and their brand spanking new podcast 'the parkrun show'.
- Episode 87 - Susan Partridge
- Fresh from her great 24th place finish at the World Marathon Championships in Deagu Sue Partridge popped in to chat all about running with Martin... to ran two, yes two, parkruns... Tony read Phil Wilson's script for Tony's Trials... plus the highs and lows from Deagu and an emotional winner of the week.
- Episode 86 - Marty Dent
- Marty Dent has a 2:13 marathon PB and is working hard towards qualifying for the 2012 Olympic Marathon, Tera Moody and Susan Partridge both ran brilliantly at last weekend's World Championships, Tom knocked 20 seconds off his recent parkrun times, and Martin flew round Poole parkrun in 16:21, and to top it all off Mo Farah picked up a silver medal in the World 10,000m championships... all in all a great week of running!
- Episode 85 - Bart Yasso
- As Runners World USA's Chief Running Officer, man behind the famous Yasso 800s, and author of 'My Life on the Run' Bart Yasso talked to Tom about Comrades, marathons, training, and life. Tony lost the plot... Martin went jet skiing... and just who did win between Tom and his Dad over the most famous distance of all?
- Episode 84 - Michael Wardian (part two)
- The second part of our interview with the simply phenomenal Mike Wardian, Tony came back from his summer hols, Martin took his wife down over the Magic Mile, and Tom finished a close second to his Dad!
- Episode 83 - Michael Wardian
- With amazing performances all they way from a 15 minute 5k through to third place overall at the 135 mile 125 degree Badwater it's been an amazing 2011 for Mike Wardian... we just couldn't not speak to the World's on-form ultra runner! Talking of running Tom laced up his trainers for the first time in a while, Tony brought us Pascal's Trials, and Mart laid down the mile smack talk!
- Episode 82 - Dean Karnazes
- Author of the amazing best selling book Ultra Marathon Man and the recently published 'Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss' ultra running legend Dean Karnazes popped in to the studio to talk all about running, Tony brought us some else's trials, Martin ran and Tom didn't! Oh, and the Marathon Talk Magic Mile Global Team Challenge kicked off with Team UK in an early lead!
- Episode 81 - Joel Jameson
- Fresh from his hard fought win and 8:47 course record at The Outlaw Iron distance triathlon Joel Jameson popped in to the studio to talk all about zipping up his marathon man suit, taking down Chrissie (maybe) and his Yorkshire roots ;) Tom still wasn't running much, Martin looked forward to his assault on the mile, and Tony had a little sing song!
- Episode 80 - David Hemery
- Gold medallist from the 1968 Olympics, Sports Personality of the Year, and multiple Superstars champion in the 1970's... Martin talked to David Hemery CBE. Tony delivered his amazing trials, Martin and Tom did more talking than running, and the inspirational Alex Flynn popped back into the studio to talk all about his recent trans Europe run.
- Episode 79 - Helen Clitheroe
- Who better to talk to about running a fast mile than two time Olympian and Commonwealth 1,500m medallist Helen Clitheroe? Tom and Martin talk all about getting ready to lay down some serious training, Tony brings us his famous Trials and there's the usual news, gossip and info from the World of running.
- Episode 78 - Tera Moody
- With a 2:30 marathon PB and a place on the US team for the upcoming World Championships in Daegu, Tera Moody is looking forward to a fantastic future of running... Tony found out why he swallowed a fly, Tom and Martin arrived back from their jollies, and we had the usual mix of winners, losers, and marathon gossip.
- Episode 77 - Jo Pavey
- Three time Olympian Jo Pavey is a great of British running, having set the English schools 1,500m record 23 years ago she is still going strong and earlier this year completed her debut marathon in 2:28, stepping straight to the front of the London 2012 qualification queue. Tony suffered a few technical glitches but still delivered his usual hilarity and with both Martin and Tom abroad this week we achieved only our second ever sub 60 minute show.
- Episode 76 - Mo Farah
- Earlier this month Mo Farah broke the European 10,000 metre record with 26:46, Martin caught up with him to find out all about that great run and what the future might hold. Tony asked as question we didn't know the answer to... and Martin & Tom launched the Marathon Talk Magic Mile International Team Challenge.
- Episode 75 - Matt Dixon
- Having advised Ryan Hall on road to his amazing 2:04:58 run at this year's Boston Marathon Matt Dixon popped in to talk all about being healthy and running fast. Tony did his bit to promote our wonderful sport, and Tom & Martin brought you all the news and gossip form the Marathon Talk world.
- Episode 74 - Alex Flynn
- Since being diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's Disease in 2008 Alex Flynn has significantly raised his already high althetic bar, already the only PD sufferer to complete the Marathon des Sables, in two days time he's setting off on an 1,800 mile run accross Europe with just 30 days to complete it! With two week's worth of running to catch up on there was also plenty of news, results, gossip, winners, losers, rants, & raves... not to mention the second installment of Tony's race report from his German adventure... What. A. Show.
- Episode 73 - Comrades
- Recorded on our last night in South Africa and edited on our first night back in England, in this episode we bring you are full race de-brief from the simply amazing Comrades Marathon... not to be out done, Tony had an ultra race report of his own!
- Episode 72 - Ed Whitlock
- In recent years Ed has truly excelled, currently holding nine single-year age World records for the Marathon, notably in 2004 with a 2:54 at age 73 and earlier this year a 3:25 just 35 days after his 81st birthday... Tom caught up with Ed and found out just what it takes to break three hours in your seventies! Mark Hetherington brought you the third and final installment of his heat and hydration Training Talk... and the boys enjoyed a nice holiday... whilst being terrified of an 56 impending miles!
- Episode 71 - Ellie Greenwood
- In just over a week, British Ultra runner and World 100km champion Ellie Greenwood will taking on the mighty Comrades Marathon, just four weeks later she's also competing at the infamous Western States 100... Martin caught up with Ellie for some last minute long distance advice. Meanwhile, Tom spoke to John McIroy about his Comrades multi-sport challenge and learnt all about hydration from Dr Mark Hetherington and Tony told us all about his Manchester madness!
- Episode 70 - Ian Sharman
- Sponsored by The North Face, British ultra-runner Ian Sharman just finished the Miwok 100k trail race, with 10,000 feet of ascent, in nine hours and a couple of minutes... in a full Elivs suit! In a little over two weeks he'll be on the start line of Comrades with his sights set firmly on a top ten finish in the World's most elite ultra event. Tom caught up with him for a chat about that, his recent 12:44 course record at the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile race, and pretty much everything else ultra. Martin joined Tom in taper mode follwing an epic 40 miles and Tony had his own ultra stuff going on... German style!
- Episode 69 - Iwan Thomas
- With individual and relay medals at World, Olympic, European, and Commonwealth level Iwan Thomas has more recently been having fun over 26.2 miles, Martin caught up with probably the fastest runner we've ever had on the show! Tom started his taper early, Tony rang the wedding bells and the Marathon Talk community was racing all round the World!
- Episode 68 - Sister Madonna Buder
- Since her first ever run over thirty years ago, 81 year old Sister Madonna Buder has completed a combined total of more than 80 marathons and Ironman triathlons. Last weekend she finished the Bston Marathon in just over five hours and later this year will attempt to open the 80-84 age category at the Hawaii Ironman. All that made Martin and Tom's moaning and groaning about their tired legs all sound a little soft! Tony meanwhile brought you Tony's Trials 'German Style'.
- Episode 67 - Louise Damen
- Fresh from achieving the Olympic A standard in this weekend's London Marathon Louise Damen talks all about her roller coaster year, from career threatening injury to 2:30:00 debut marathon, Tom and Martin discussed the London and Boston marathons in detail, including news of the fastest 26.2 miles in history, Tony brought us yet another weird and wonderful race report, and we heard from Marathon Talk listeners who'd run Paris, London, and Boston, and even Afghanistan!
- Episode 66 - London Race Week
- It's race week of the London and Boston marathons, as well as many other of course, so we spent today's show talking to people who had just done a marathon, were just about to do a marathon, or in some cases both! Tony Audenshaw brought us his weekly Trials, Martin and Tom worried about impending ultra marathon doom and in between all that we crammed in as much news and gossip as possible from around the running World.
- Episode 65 - Greg McMillan
- With the spring marathon season in full flow Martin spoke to one of the World's leading marathon coaches, Greg McMillan, Tom took his foot off the running gas, and Tony spent all week bonking!
- Episode 64 - Jeff Galloway (part two)
- The run / walk / run strategy was developed by Jeff Galloway over 30 years ago, in that time it's taken many thousands of marathon runners to PB performances, Tom caught up with Jeff to find out just how it works. Martin and Tom both ran further than they every have before, Tony set out his London Marathon plans and there was the usual ranting, raving, and winner of the week...ing.
- Episode 63 - Jeff Galloway (part one)
- We bring you news of Mo Farah's win in NY, the World XC champs and marathons in Rome and LA, Run for Japan is going super well. We have the first of a 'Tom two 2 parter' with 1972 Olympian, author of 20 running books, finisher of 150 marathons and the guy behind the run-walk marathon strategy Jeff Galloway. We get stimulated in training talk. There's Rate your Run and Marchvellous, rant, rave and winner of the week and Tony Audenshaw brings us another hilarious Tony's Trials.
- Episode 62 - Sam Murphy
- Best selling running author Sam Murphy talked all about running, Tony suffered a serious case of the man blisters, Martin arrived back in blighty and Tom's winning streak of one came to an end.
- Episode 61 - Andrew Lemoncello (part two)
- Tune in for the second part of our interview with top British marathon runner Andrew Lemoncello, find out how Martin's getting on in Lanzarote, hear about Tom's amazing VI experience, and poor old Tony just can't face talking about it!
- Episode 60 - Andrew Lemoncello (part one)
- British Olympic steeple chaser Andrew Lemoncello ran 2:13:40 around the streets of London in his debut marathon last year, with the 2011 London Marathon fast approaching Martin caught up with Andrew to find out how things were going and talk all about running. Tom gave it everything over ten hard miles, Tony missed out on a once in a lifetime boozy opportunity and we found out how a Japanese civil servant stunned the marathon running World.
- Episode 59 - Lee Merrien
- With a 2:16 in his debut marathon and both eyes focused firmly on achieving the Olympic 'A' standard in 2011 we thought it was about time we caught up with Lee Merrien, Tony couldn't make his mind up, Tom got rather muddy and Martin went for a rather speedy long run!
- Episode 58 - Tim Hutchings
- Brighton Marathon race director and 13:11 5,000m runner Tim Hutchings joined Martin to talk all things running, Tony had something to get off his chest and Tom ran more than ever! We also heard about a Marathon Talker winning the New Orleans Marathon and launched the third part of our spring motivation trilogy... Marchvellous!
- Episode 57 - Bob Groves
- Five years ago London cabbie Bob Groves turned his life around swapping drink and drugs for running and fitness, Martin found out all about his amazing journey. Tom reached the top of the podium for the first time ever, Martin celebrated his birthday and Tony couldn't decide what to talk about!
- Episode 56 - Ron Hill (part two)
- Legends don't come any more legendary that Dr Ron Hill... we hope you enjoy the second part of our interview with the great man. Martin's not been running long, neither has Tom... and Tony's gone all showbiz.
- Episode 55 - Ron Hill (part one)
- Jantastic went crazy and we launched Febulous, Tom pulled a great performance out of the bag, Martin looked toward a three and a half hour run, Tony dressed up as a smurf and we spoke to British running legend and one time marathon World record holder Ron Hill.
- Episode 54 - Liz McColgan
- Tom's been podcasting American Style, Martin's been running long with the Rubinator, Tony's had an up and down week and Scottish running legend Liz McColgan talked big city victories!
- Episode 53 - Mike Bushell & Happy 1st Birthday to us
- It's our 1st Birthday! What an amazing year. On this weeks show we talk to BBC Sport presenter and all round action man Mike Bushell about his plans for his first ever Virgin London Marathon in 2011. Tony tells us about his Birthday Olympics. There's news of our super cool running challenge 'Jantastic' and some race results and we talk intervals for marathon running.
- Episode 52 - Eamonn Martin
- As the last British winner of the London Marathon and 1995 Chicago Marathon champion Eamonn Martin was the perfect person to motivate us towards our spring marathon campaigns, Tony kicked off the New Year in true Tony style, Jantastic went crazy and Tom & Martin talked all about running.
- Episode 51 - The Best of 2010
- What an amazing year! Over the last 12 months the Marathon Talk community has gone from strength to strength with the show being downloaded 252,000 times to 108 countries around the World. In this show we talked all about ours and your favourite bits from the first 50 shows... from Tim Noakes, Ryan Hall and Liz Yelling to Tony's Trials, Rant & Rave and Training Talk. Thanks for supporting the show through 2010... here's to an amazing 2011.
- Episode 50 - Toby Tanser
- Earlier this year Toby ran from the Kenyan coast straight to the top of mount Kilimanjaro... Martin caught up with him to talk all about his amazing adventure. Tom moaned about sore legs, Martin climbed back to the top of the Spouse Smackdown podium and Tony was feeling rather festive.
- Episode 49 - Tom Lowe
- Earlier this year Tom Lowe broke the British Ironman record when he finished 3rd overall at Ironman Arizona in the amazing time of eight hours and 11 minutes, largely thanks to a stunning 2:48 marathon... his first run ever over that distance! Martin caught up with Tom and they talked all about his amazing race, Tony delivered yet another brilliant race report and we asked you to name your all time marathon Great!
- Episode 48 - Andi Jones
- Martin speaks to one of the UK's top endurance runners, Andi Jones has competed in the World Half Marathon Champsionships as well as the World Cross Country Championships, this year he was selected to run The Commonwealth Games Marathon and the European Championships Marathon for Great Britain. Tony runs through his race week check list, Tom has a roller coaster run in Geneva and we hear all about the World's fastest marathon running wig!
- Episode 47 - Prof Tim Noakes
- Legendary running Prof Tim Noakes gives a brilliant interview about central governor theory. Tom and Martin talk about coughs and colds. There's plenty of news from the world of running. We hear from superstar Tony in his trials and there's a great winner of the week for Movember.
- Episode 46 - Ben Limo
- Ben Limo takes the lead in our Magic Mile league table, Tony takes on the press-up challenge and Chrissie Wellington takes down the WTC Ironman World Record. Martin's hitting the intervals, Tom's hanging with the kids and we introduce a great new Facebook concept.
- Episode 45 - Tim Cruse-Drew aka 'Gold Fingers'
- Physio to the stars Tim Cruse Drew shares a few of his tips for staying injury free. Tom and Martin talk hills and doing something different for better 10k performance. There's plenty of marathon news including the return of the great one from retirement. Tony sings us through his trials and rate your run has a new home.
- Episode 44 - Desiree Ficker
- Elite American marathon runner and Ironman athlete Desiree Ficker joined us just four days before she took to the start line of this year's New York City Marathon, Tom and Martin both worked on their guns, Tony popped in with some more Trials and we talked all about running!
- Episode 43 - Will Cockerell
- Freelance sports writer, columnist for Athletics Weekly, author of the brilliant book 'The 50 Greatest Marathon Races of All Time' and 2:27 marathon runner Will Cockerell caught up with Martin to talk about his favourite five marathons. Tony did things American style, Tom suffered some rather unfortunate chaffing and Martin got sent to the back of the queue!
- Episode 42 - Ben Davis & Hywel Davies
- On Christmas Day 2008 Ben weighed in at 360 pounds... since then he's lost 120 pounds and become not only a marathon runner but an Ironman finisher, Martin spoke with Ben about his amazing journey over the last two years. Also in 2008, Hywel Davies won the first ever Double Ironman UK, an achievement which required a 52 mile run through a forest & through the night, Tom talked to Hywel about running in the dark. To top all of that... Tony received a phone call from the greatest marathon runner of all time!
- Episode 41 - Dr Mike Stroud
- Seven marathons in seven continents in seven days presents pretty much every challenge that a runner could hope to face, find out all about Mike Stroud's adventure... Friend of the show and amazing author Matt Rogan has just finished his brilliant book 'Britain and the Olympic Games', we spoke to Matt and he offered Marathon Talk listeners a pre-launch offer. We also talked about races from all around the world and caught up with the crazy world of Tony's Trials.
- Episode 40 - Lizzy Hawker
- This year's winner of the UTMB Lizzy Hawker joins us to talk running... long. Tony and Liz check in, Martin's been legging it round Chicago and Tom's back on his feet :)
- Episode 39 - Bruce Fordyce (part two)
- What a show! Bruce Fordyce is back in part two of his interview, Martin and Liz are in Chicago, Tom's happy despite being sick AND not in Kona, Tony's getting a bit OCD and... there's a special 'out take' to make you laugh just after the closing jingle ;)
- Episode 38 - Bruce Fordyce (part one)
- Known across South Africa as The Comrades King, Bruce Fordyce won the iconic ultra marathon nine times between 1981 and 1990. During this time he also set the world 50 mile road record, won the London to Brighton ultra marathon three times and became world 100km champion, setting the then world record of 6:25 in the process. This week we also catch up with Tony, hear from Liz, answer questions, talk racing and moan about being ill!
- Episode 37 - Dr Katherine Bond
- As a sport psychology consultant to Team GB Katherine Bond is ideally suited to keeping us on the mental straight and narrow... Martin talked to her in depth about all things running. With Tom ill, Martin injured and Liz ill AND injured it's not a great time for the team right now... Tony flew the flag with a Great North Run... banana style!
- Episode 36 - Carey Pinkowski
- Only three weeks to go until the Bank of America Chicago Marathon so what better time to catch up with Race Director Carey Pinkowski. We reflect on an amazing Marathon Talk Motivation Station, talk training, catch up with Tony and reveal the coolest name in running.
- Episode 35 - Jez Bragg
- Fresh from victory at the North Face UTMB we speak to Jez Bragg and find out exactly what flicks his ultra-distance switch... talking of long runs Tony tells us all about the Bullock Smithy and we discuss recovery strategies for peak training sessions. Liz brings us the latest from her Road to Chicago, we rant we rave, we answer your questions and we Winner of the Week.
- Episode 34 - Catherine Ndereba
- With 21 sub 2:30 marathons, two world championship wins, six big city marathon victories and two Olympic marathon silver medals this week's guest certainly lives up to her nickname of 'Catherine the Great'! Tony and Liz both keep us up to date, Martin's off to Monaco and Tom's off to the Bullock Smithy.
- Episode 33 - Charlie Webster
- As a TV presenter who has stood in front of 350 million viewers and a six time marathon finisher Charlie Webster talked to us all about running and how the media can influence future generations. Tony popped back in with some great fashion advice, Tom scored a personal worst, Martin ranted about fish size and we found out about D-D-D-Doublers!
- Episode 32 - Chris Thompson (Part 2)
- Chris Thompson tells us all about his amazing silver medal run at the European Athletics Championships earlier this year. Martin's back in the UK, Liz is flying and Tom is loving the vegetarian life.
- Episode 31 - Chris Thompson (part one)
- Only three British runners have ever broken 27:30 for 10,000 metres and Chris Thompson is one of them... in the first of our two part interview we talked to Chris about the early days and dealing with and then overcoming injury. Martin's still in Annecy, Tom's putting his feet up and we talk all about running.
- Episode 030 - Chrissie Wellington
- Last month Chrissie Wellington smashed her own Ironman record at Challenge Roth, running a 2:48 marathon after 'warming up' with a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike... we found out how she did it! We also caught up on the latest news from the world of running, Tom turned veggie and Martin went all Alpine...
- Episode 29 - Charlie Spedding
- With just two years until the opening of the London Olympics we spoke to Britain's last marathon medalist Charlie Spedding and talked to the head of the BBC's Olympic website Mark Coyle. Tony's Trials returned and we launched the Marathon Talk Smackdown.
- Episode 28 - Barefoot Ted
- At the forefront of barefoot running Ted McDonald talks us through the history and evolution of the barefoot movement. We hear from Liz Yelling on her build up to Chicago and recent race in Sunderland. Marathon Talk smashes through 2,000 Facebook fans and approaches 100,000 downloads from 56 countries. Martin promises to get back running and Tom promises to stop training so hard... soon ;)
- Episode 27 - Nick Morgan
- It's been hot hot hot recently so we caught up with Lucozade Sport's Head of Sports Science Nick Morgan to talk about hydrating in the heat. Liz tell's us all about her Chicago prep, Tom gets lost AGAIN and Martin needs to pick up the pace ;)
- Episode 26 - Rich Castro
- We're doing things American style this week... talking to the President of Boulder Running Club Rich Castro, catching up with Liz's plans for the Chicago Marathon and giving out some love to running groups.
- Episode 25 - Liz Yelling
- With the Autumn marathon season fast approaching it's time to kick those bad habits into touch, strap on your training shoes and head out the door. We catch up with Liz Yelling to hear how she's planning her training for the Chicago Marathon in October, we also talk about what you should do... NOW, and announce yet another legendary interviewee...
- Episode 24 - Scott Jurek
- Martin completes his first ultra marathon and Tom turns his hand to sprinting. Scott Jurek as won just about everything there is to win in the world of ultra running, Martin caught up with him to find find out more and keeping it ultra, endurance coach Ian Corless joined us for training talk.
- Episode 23 - Sammy Wanjiru
- Sammy Wanjiru has run the fastest Olympic marathon, UK based marathon and American marathon of all time... we caught up with him on a recent trip to Bedford. Also on this week's show, Martin is about to go large and Tom get's back in the groove with a half-Ironman.
- Episode 22 - Helen Clitheroe
- As a two-time Olympian, Commonwealth Games medallist and British record holder for the 3,000m steeplechase Helen seemed the perfect person to speak to about running... fast! We also heard about fast sessions, faster OAPs and the correct speed with which to reply to an email!
- Episode 21 - The parkrun special
- In the last five years parkrun has gone from 13 friends running round Bushy Park on a Saturday morning to over 5,000 people running 5k for free every single weekend in over forty events, which in their time have seen 20,000 volunteers get involved... we chatted with a few of the key people behind this running revolution!
- Episode 20 - Tom's Final Ironman
- Tom returns from Ironman Lanzarote, Martin heads for the hills, Tony's feeling patriotic and you lot tell us all about the Edinburgh Marathon. Our winner of the week digs deep for eight hours and we tell you how you can win a free entry to this year's Nottingham Marathon.
- Episode 19 - Ryan Hall
- In 2007 Ryan Hall became the first American to break 60 minutes for a half marathon and in 2008 set the fastest marathon time ever run by an American born athlete crossing the London Marathon finishing line in 2:06:17. We caught up with him to talk about all things running. Also this week, Tony squeezed out a new PW, Martin took a turn for the worst and Tom made his final training bank deposit.
- Episode 18 - Stride UK
- Stride UK was set up by Mitch and Elle Phillips to help runners get the most out of themselves through high-tech video gait analysis, Tony's got the blues, Tom's off to Lanza and Martin's running long...
- Episode 17 - Kay Fawcett
- Normal yet extraordinary super-mum Kay Fawcett joins us on the post London Marathon couch, Tony takes a trip to the dentist, Martin's got a super-sore toe and Tom is nearly there!
- Episode 16 - Mara Yamauchi
- Mara Yamauchi joins us for a chat about her 2010 VLM experience, Tony sets a new world record, Tom walks the walk, we hear from some super fast Aussies and no-one throws their pants at Martin!
- Episode 15 - Paula Radcliffe
- Paula Radcliffe joins us for an exclusive interview, Tony regresses to his younger years, we hear about some awesome times in Boston and Brighton Marathon saves the day...
- Episode 14 - Richard Whitehead
- This week we review some superfast spring marathons in Rotterdam and Paris. Catch up with new world record holder and double legged amputee Richard Whitehead and tell you everything you need to know about your final 24hours on race day. Hallelujah for Tony's Trials and we teach you how to spit on the run!
- Episode 13 - Steve Way
- This week we talk to a one time over-weight smoker who now boasts a marathon PB of 2.25... Steve Way.
- Episode 12 - Noel Thatcher
- This week we talk to six time paralympian and all round running legend Noel Thatcher, we answer your questions about the Lausanne Marathon, have a chat about tapering and hear Tony's latest musical endeavour...
- Episode 11 - The Long Run Show with Midgie Thompson
- This week we join you on your long run and bring mental performance coach Midgie Thompson along for the ride. We also have a double helping of Tony's Trials, catch up on some great listeners questions and talk about world records and barefoot running.
- Episode 10 - Sarah Russell
- This week we catch up with the race director of the Tunbridge Wells half marathon, Sarah Russell. Martin helps you to live longer, one of our listeners wins a 250km desert race and Tony's in trouble!
- Episode 9 - Adam Grice
- Live from Lanzarote - Adam Grice was the British Universities 10,000m champion and came top five in the World Mountain Running Championships however eventually lost the battle against a lack of funding and gave up competitive running at the age of 24 to pursue a career in medicine. We answer a few listeners questions, have a bit of a rant and rave, catch up with Tony and his trials and chat about how to approach build up races.
- Episode 8 - Hayley Yelling
- Hayley Yelling tells us all about her recent win in the European Cross Country Championships, Tony provides a detailed description of cramps and we bring you the latest news, views and gossip from the world of running.
- Episode 7 - Dan Robinson
- This week we catch up with Britain's number one marathon runner and double Olympian Dan Robinson and hear from Tony and his trials. We talk about feeling tired during marathon training and when you should take your foot off the gas, we have a bit of a rant, answer questions on carrying nutrition and running off-road and nominate our winner of the week.
- Episode 6 - Alex Vero
- This week we speak with Alex Vero who's documentary 'Running to the Limits' is now available on DVD. Find out the result of round two of 'Spouse Smackdown', catch up on the latest news from the world of running and celebrate Valentine's Day with Tony.
- Episode 5 - Nick Morgan
- This week we hear all about super speedy pensioners, chat to Nick Morgan about marathon nutrition for racing and training, catch up with Tony's Trials and discuss training options for running in fancy dress!
- Episode 4 - Indergaard Physio
- This week we talk to top physio Ove Indergaard, hear from Tony Audenshaw, talk about racing weight and find out how fast YOU can run.
- Episode 3 - The Incredible Shrinking Man
- Naked running with Tony Audenshaw - Loosing fifteen stone with Mike Hare - Running long - Gels - Calculating your marathon pace - Ski holidays - News
- Episode 2 - Tony Audenshaw
- This week we interviewed British soap star and real runner Tony Audenshaw, caught up with the Houston marathon and talked all about running.
- Episode 1 - Liz Yelling
- The first ever episode of Marathon Talk. We've got a great interview with Olympic marathon runner Liz Yelling, interesting news stories, 'training talk' about kicking off your marathon training and some guest audio from a speedy celebrity.
Marathon Talk Clothing from Sweatshop
Please remember to use code 'MTALK26' when you order your Marathon Talk clothing through Sweathsop. This will help support the show.